Samstag, 23. März 2013

English Post - Cycling for you

Cycling for you: CYCLING AGAINST CANCER

Cycling from Orlando to San Francisco - support my trip 
        I am the first man with leukaemia cycling from Orlando to San Francisco

Golden Gate - der Weg ist das Ziel




SEE YOU:    SUNDAY ,   14. APRIL   NOONTIME    -   MIDDLE OF GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE


When confronted with the diagnosis of "Morbus Waldenström", a particularly rare, incurable variant of leukemia, seven years ago, my life suddenly changed. For years I had desperately been trying to forget about my disease until my immune system collapsed in 2009. Only a combination of chemotherapy and antibodies prevented the worst from happening. It seems that there was more than just one single guardian angel that protected me. Besides, I had the absolute and strong will to regain strength and continue life as normally as possible.  Whereas in those days every single step was a big challenge for me, it is rather a miracle to be able to go an bicycle tours of more than 60 miles without any problems.

 In June, I attended a congress for patients of "Morbus Waldenström" in Hamburg which was hosted by the  "Deutsche Leukämie-Hilfe" www.leukaemie-hilfe.de , a German leukemia association. At that congress it was the first time that I had the opportunity of getting in touch with other people having the same disease. There, I felt the same fears I had known for years.


Those impressions and experiences motivated me to run this special mission for the benefit of the German foundation for leukemia www.dlh-stiftung.de


From January until April, under the patronage of this foundation, I am going to take a specially prepared bike and cycle about 3700 miles from Orlando, Florida to San Francisco, California, especially to encourage
other people that have to accept their fate of having cancer.
My desperate try to forget my disease would alsmost have been fatal. Today, I don`t  shy to talk frankly about it. I know that "Morbus Waldenström" is a disease that, in combination with a sufficient will to survive, can, at least temporally, allow its victims to live a qualitatively satisfactory life.


My trips to the United States years ago - e.g. travelling through the US by my own RV for eight month - taught me the geographical and climatic conditions I will be confronted with the beginning of 2013. Furthermore, due to my studies of geography, I was able to find a suitable and feasible route for my tour through the South of the US.
I am going to sleep in a small tent on private camp grounds as well as on US state parks. Since I will face challenges like heights of more than 6500 feet, a professional sleeping bag keeps me warm will be indispensable. Beside, particularly in the south western semi-deserts, I am expecting some serious temperature drops at night. Another problem that will probably come up ist the fact that shopping facilities in those regions are rare. Water might not always be available.
 Nevertheless, I am really looking forward to these challenges, to meeting people, finding new friends and to admiring beautiful natural wonders such as the one in the Petrified Forest National Park, but also man-made wonders such as the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.

Generally, I would really appreciate it if you supported the leukemia foundation for every cycled mile. Please do so by giving a donation to:
Bank account                                                        

  Stiftung Deutsche Leukämie-Hilfe
                          

                     Account number    :         151515                                                           

                        Bankcode             :         370 205 00 
                        (Bank für Gemeinwirtschaft)
                                     
                        Keyword              :         "CYCLING"


Travel data

START              :     09. JANUARY in  ORLANDO / FLORIDA

MILES               :                                               3 7 0 0

DESTINATION:     14. APRIL in SAN FRANCISCO / CA. Noontime - Middle of Golden Gate Bridge


Travelroute

Orlando - Blue Springs S.P. - Juniper Springs S.P. - Paynes Prairie Pres. S.P. - O.`Leno S.P.Rocky`s Cnvenience CG. west of Perry /FL. - Carabell RV-Park. - St. Joseph Peninsula S.P. -  St. Andrews S.P. - Henderson Beach S.P. - Gulf S.P. - Meaher S.P. -  Shepard S.P. - Paul B. Johnson S.P. - Bogue Chitto Water Park - Riverview RV Park in Vidalia  - Jimmie Davis S.P. - -Lake Claiborne S.P. - Mullin Rv Park in Sarepta - Daingerfield S.P. - Cooper Lake S.P. - Bonham S.P. - Ray Roberts Lake S.P. - Sunset RV Park in Sunset / TX - Echols RV Park in Olney - Munday - Central Park RV in Spur / TX - Buffalo Springs Lake east of Lubbock - Brownfield/TX - Chaparralpark in Lovington - Bottomless Lakes S.P. - Forestry Dep. in Capitan /NM - Valley of Fires - Socorro - Datl Well CG. - Quemodo Petrified Forest  Nationalpark / Wilderness Campgr. - Holbrook / KOA - Homolovi S.P. - Flagstaff / KOA - Williams - Seligman / KOA -   ?  -  Kingman  - Willow Beach -  Boulder Beach CG. near Lake Mead -  Las Vegas   - Pahrump RV - Furnace Creek CG. / Death Valley - Panamint Spring Resort - Boulder Creek RV near Lone Pine -  ? - Lake Isabella Kern River KOA - Kern River S.P. - Tule Elk Res. S.P. -  ? - ? - Morro Bay S. P. /Pazifik - San Simeon Creek CG. - Lime Kiln S.P. - Andrew Molera S.P. - Carrapto S.P. - Sunset State Beach - Half Moon Bay S.P. 

destination of overnight accommondation  past

 

? = Übernachtungsort derzeit offen   -        present no accommondation